Thursday 15 November 2012

The Razer Goliathus Mousepad


When it comes to gaming, some of us are quite fussy when it comes to our peripherals. Serious gamers need to have the best equipment to perform at top levels, and when it comes to first person shooters there can be no exceptions. As a girl, I have gotten a lot of slack over the years for trying my hand at FPS's like Counterstrike and UT, so I need a good mouse and mousepad to show that us ladies aren't completely incompetent when it comes to gaming!
My mousepad of choice has been the Razer Goliathus for the last two years, and below I'll try to explain why I chose it.


Razer Goliathus - Control Edition
 Razer has been associated with gaming for a few years now, and many gamers swear by their brand. Others think that they are overpriced and overhyped. I'd like to think I'm somewhere in between these two schools of thought. This is why I decided to take a chance on a Razer product.

After my old custom made mousepad finally bit the dust at the end of 2010, I knew it was time to bite the bullet and get a suitable replacement. Years of playing shooters had left me desiring a cloth/fabric mousepad, and after a bit of searching I came across the Razer Goliathus. It came in three different sizes, and since i found it on sale at half price for $9.99 (RRP is $19.99) I decided to give it a try. I opted for the large size which is around 30cm x 45cm, and it allows me to use a low sensitivity while still giving me a large surface to work with. There is an even bigger size than that, but I believe this size should be fine for most gamers.

The Goliathus comes in two different versions - the speed and the control edition. I opted for the control edition as it provides more friction which I prefer. For those of you who like a slicker surface the speed edition will be a better choice.
So how does it perform? Well I can say that after 2 years the mousepad is still going strong, although it is a little grubby at the moment. It is a little worn where my wrist sits, but aside from that it is still in really good condition. I put it through the wash every few months to get rid of the grimy buildup, so it can handle a fair amount of abuse.
The pad itself has a rubber grip underneath, which means it remains stationary on any surface. Those of you game will know how infuriating it can be when you are playing a game and your mousepad slips! The good news is that this never happens with the Goliathus. I find that the pad itself has the perfect balance between friction and slickness, so you can get those headshots in with ease. I use a logitech G5 with the pad, and it glides along effortlessly, but also allows me to come to a dead stop in a fraction of a second for those rapid fire kills.

Overall it has been a great investment, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone.I got mine half price, but considering how well it has served me I would be happy to pay the full retail price without a doubt. You can take a look at it on the official site over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment