Sunday 2 December 2012

A look at Gunnar Glasses

Today I'm going to have a look at Gunnar Glasses. What exactly are these glasses, and who are they designed for?
These particular glasses are aimed at anyone who sits at the computer for extended periods of time, and claim to take some of the strain off your eyes.
For most people sitting in front of the tv for house can lead to dry eyes, irritation and headaches. I am one of the people, so a product like this is quite a good idea.
According to their website http://www.gunnars.com
"GUNNARS increase contrast, comfort and focus while minimizing eye fatigue and visual stress for anyone who spends long hours staring at digital screens. GUNNAR eyewear is powered by i-AMP lens technology comprised of a proprietary lens material in an advanced geometry tuned for intermediate viewing distance and finished with custom formulated lens filters, tints and coatings."
So it sounds good, but at the price tag of $79.99 is it really worthwhile? I got myself a pair last week and have been using them for several days now. The first thing you notice about the glasses are that they are very light, similar in weight to the 3d glasses you get at the movies. This means in terms of comfort you don't need to worry about using them over extended periods, in fact you barely notice them.
As for performance, I have found myself having less dry eyes the past two days, so all that fancy marketing talk must have some truth to it. Also my eyes didn't quite feel as burnt out at the end of the day so cleary something is working here.

It isn't all good news however. The yellowish tint on the glasses can make the colors on the screen a little distorted, so if you work in a field where coloring is important (say graphic design) then I would advise against getting these as this could cause a problem in the long run.

If you spend a large portion of your day in front of the pc then I would recommend these glasses to you. $79.99 may seem quite pricey, but when you look at some of the other brands of glasses who claim similar results for over $100 then it seems like a bargain!
For now I'm quite happy with my Gunnars, so I'd say they are a good investment overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment